Tuesday, May 29, 2012

How to Make Consequences Work:
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/how-to-make-consequences-work-richard-curwin
One thing that stood out to me is that how we implement consequences is more important than what those consequences are. Consistency is key when it comes to discipline and consequences. I find myself guilty of this occasionally. I find myself asking some of my well-behaved students to quiet down while some of the more difficult students will immediately fill out a responsible thinking sheet in order to get their behavior under control. That is something I have realized and will continue to work on in order to have a more consistent behavior plan in my classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I think we are all guilty of that as well. I actually sometimes even justify it to myself by saying different students need different consequences... our "well behaved" students may only need that simple verbal reminder, that alone is enough for some good students to get back on trace. Whereas we know the more difficult ones will ignore the reminder and continue to engage in the activities so we have to skip to a bigger consequence. It is a hard hurdle, because students are always right on top of calling us out for inconsistencies, but then again our definition of fair would incude to have consequences that work for EACH student .

    ReplyDelete